Beware the Death Cap mushroom!

Be very careful when you forage for mushrooms; there’s one particular menace this autumn: the death cap mushroom.It is Britain’s deadliest mushroom and it’s been reported in unusually large numbers in the run of mild, damp weather. It’s been estimated that as little as half a death cap mushroom is enough to kill an adult and, worldwide, this species has caused more deaths than any other mushroom. Worse still, death caps have been reported to taste quite pleasant, and symptoms of poisoning may not appear for up to 24 hours after they have been eaten. It’s easy to mistake the death cap for some edible mushrooms. They can be distinguished by a pale green cap, a bulbous ring at the bottom of the stalk and a ring-like collar. Make sure you can tell the difference!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s